Woombye School is a Year 4 – 6 BYOD School
Minimum specifications for devices:
- Windows laptop / notebook running Windows 10 (NOT Windows 10S) or iPad running iOS13 or higher. No Android devices please.
- 9.7" screen or larger (no iPad minis)
- Storage: Minimum of 128 GB SSD(Solid State Drive devices are more robust and use less power – so consequently, their battery should last a whole school day).
- Power: Battery that will last all day at school. Devices should be fully charged at home before the start of each school day
- 4GB RAM minimum for Windows machines
- Ability to connect to WiFi
- Anti-virus protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (built-in on Windows 10 devices). Third party virus protection such as Trend Micro, McAfee and Kaspersky are not recommended for use in the Education Queensland protected environment.
- Third party virus protection products are not recommended for use at school.
- Family user management systems such as Norton’s Family and Microsoft Family have been found to be problematic in the Education Queensland environment and are not recommended.
- The Microsoft Office Package (including Word and Excel) can be downloaded for free by students in Education Queensland schools. It does not need to be purchased. See the school website for more details.
Programs and apps need to be downloaded prior to bringing the device to school. Updates also need to be maintained at home.
- Office 365 package,which includes Word, Excel and OneNote (sometimes referred to as the Microsoft Office Suite), is FREE for students enrolled in an Education Queensland school. It must be downloaded and installed at home and students will need to use their school email address to sign in. It is recommended that you sign out and uninstall the trial version prior to downloading the Office package from the Office Portal. The link, further information and step-by-step instructions can be found at https://learningplace.education.qld.gov.au/microsoft-office-software
For iPads, download the apps from the Apple Store, then sign in with the student’s school email address and password.
- Firefox (can be configured for use at school)
- Google Chrome(used on school devices)
- A pdf reader such as Adobe or Foxit Reader
Year 5 students may require the NAPLAN browser later in the year (details will be sent home closer to the date).
Class teachers may request additional apps or programs for the class.
- Windows Defender, which comes preinstalled on Windows 10 machines, provides protection and works well in the Education Queensland environment.
Troubleshooting internet access at school
Windows 10S has been discontinued. It does not function well in the Education Queensland. Upgrade to Windows 10 required.
Microsoft Family account links outside of Education Queensland can be blocked by the proxy. Enable the Guest account and use the Guest login when at school.
Nortons Family account should be disabled while at school. Education Queensland provides filtering through the school network.
Before any child can use their device at school, they must have signed the last page of the charter. Parents, please read and explain the content of the charter to your child - then sign and return the permission page to the school office so that your child can start to use their device at school. Link below:
Education Queensland's Learning Place
See the homepage for software offers and links, cyber-safety information, resources and activities. Link to My Learning Space, blogs and edStudios