Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Soon after the discovery of gold at Gympie in 1867, a Cobb and Co. coach route was established, passing over the hill on which our school now stands. A changing camp was necessary, so the settlement of Cobb's Camp came into being. As the population increased, a school was needed, so Cobb's Camp School, No. 476 was established, the opening day being 17 August, 1885. This very small school grew with the arrival of more settlers, and the advent of the railway line from Landsborough to Woombye. Woombye was an aboriginal name for the black myrtle which grew in the scrub, its straight, tough stems being used by the coach drivers for whip handles. Another source attributes the name "Woombye" as an aboriginal word meaning "the place of the black snake".